A place for all things cake...recipes, ideas and pictures...

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The 5 hour cake


The boss man decided to come tell me last Monday (3/29) that he was leaving early that day to go get married. WHAT!!!!!! Yep, I heard him right. He was leaving early to go get married that afternoon, and he never mentioned it to anyone. Being that I am the secretary in my department, it fell on me to scramble together flowers and a cake for him for the next day. Ordered the flowers that afternoon (with special instructions for no pink flowers), and then started planning the cake. My mind was in overdrive already because I had such a short time to throw something together.

Fortunately, I had some green MMF already made so I decided to start with that and build the rest of the cake from there. He's not a big sweets eater so I made a simple french vanilla cake with chocolate chip buttercream filling. I rolled the MMF on an impression mat to give it some texture. While the cake was baking, I made 8 buttercream roses in 2 different sizes. Fortunately, the roses decided to cooperate with me that day. Anyone who makes buttercream roses knows that there are days when they just don't want to behave. I wrote "Congratulations" across the cake and put the roses around it, and I put a simple bead border around the bottom. Not my best cake ever, but definitely not bad for only 5 hours worth of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment